Gift Planning Tips
Beneficiary Forms: Making Them Achieve Clients’ Goals
The beneficiary forms associated with life insurance, retirement accounts, certificates of deposit and other financial arrangements are often plain-vanilla, one-size-fits-all documents . . . more
Philanthropy—It's Not Just for “Old People”
The benefits of philanthropy aren’t limited to people of a “certain age” . . . more
Special Help for Some Beneficiaries
Charitable remainder trusts must provide that the annuity or unitrust amount is payable to or for the use of one or more named persons, at least one of which is not a charity [Code §664(d)] . . . more
Add Charity to the Marital Deduction
There are several options that allow spouses to provide for one another while also securing significant support for favorite charities . . . more
The following articles are now available from the latest edition of the Charitable Giving Tax Service Analysis & Comment. To see the complete text, just click here. Archived articles, and the full 1200-page gift planning library are available at no charge if you register and sign in to CGTS-Online.
IRS EXTENDS ANNUITY TRUSTS A LIFELINE
Inclusion of sample language avoids 5% probability test.
COURT DENIES DISTRIBUTIONS OF PRINCIPAL
Trust terms don’t provide for invasion of corpus due to financial need.
CHARITY GIVEN GREATER INVESTMENT OPTIONS
Restrictions resulted in minimal return, hampering decedent’s intent.
FAMILY’S ACTIONS, NOT BUSINESS CLIMATE, CAUSE DROP IN VALUE
Stock exchanged for promissory notes at discounted amount.
COURT REJECTS ATTEMPT TO “SWAP” BEQUESTS
Spouse stuck with IRA and income in respect of a decedent.
NO RELIANCE, NO PLEDGE
Charity’s claim against estate denied.
TAX ON IRD OFFSET BY DEDUCTION
Trust will receive cash from testator’s IRAs.
ORGANIZATION CHANGES USE OF CONTRIBUTED FUNDS
Donors want funds returned if not used as promised.
CHARITY CAN SUE ATTORNEY FOR ERROR IN WILL
Organization was intended beneficiary of instrument.
January 2019 Archive
• Having Cake and Eating It, Too
• Planning for Gifts of Unusual Assets
• Start the Year Right
• Charitable Techniques for the Here and Now and the Hereafter
December 2018 Archive
• To Elect or Not Elect?
• One Last Chance
• Roth IRA Conversions May Be More Attractive
• Important Numbers for 2019
November 2018 Archive
• Nonqualified Charitable Remainder Trusts Worth a Look
• Gifts of Appreciated Securities Always in Style
• Unitrusts Offer Cleansing Solution for Capital Gains
• The Drawback to Giving Just a Part
October 2018 Archive
• Year-End Ideas – Some Old, Some New
• Trusts, Even Without the Deduction
• Owning Property with Charity
• What Increasing §7520 Rates Mean to Clients
September 2018 Archive
• Final Regulations Mostly Reaffirm Proposed Rules
• Best Assets for Charitable Bequests
• Real Estate Philanthropy
• Gift of Securities: A Review of the Rules
August 2018 Archive
• Higher §7520 Rates Making Remainder Trusts More Attractive
• Letting Beneficiaries Say “No”
• Gift Annuities for Family and Friends
• Charitable Solutions for Clients with Too Much of a Good Thing
Copyright © R&R Newkirk. All rights reserved.