Gift Planning Tips
Wise Donors Select Assets Over Cash Gifts
According to the IRS, American taxpayers claimed deductions for more than $64 billion in noncash gifts to charity in 2015 . . . more
Helping Grandchildren with Remainder Trusts
Clients wanting to assist grandchildren with college expenses while also providing a benefit to charity might consider funding a charitable remainder trust for a term of years . . . more
Thoughts About Trustees
Every charitable remainder trust needs a trustee . . . more
A Trust for Fido
Although a dog or cat may feel like part of the family, a pet is not a permissible income beneficiary of a testamentary charitable remainder trust . . . more
The following articles are now available from the latest edition of the Charitable Giving Tax Service Analysis & Comment. To see the complete text, just click here. Archived articles, and the full 1200-page gift planning library are available at no charge if you register and sign in to CGTS-Online.
IRS EXTENDS ANNUITY TRUSTS A LIFELINE
Inclusion of sample language avoids 5% probability test.
COURT DENIES DISTRIBUTIONS OF PRINCIPAL
Trust terms don’t provide for invasion of corpus due to financial need.
CHARITY GIVEN GREATER INVESTMENT OPTIONS
Restrictions resulted in minimal return, hampering decedent’s intent.
FAMILY’S ACTIONS, NOT BUSINESS CLIMATE, CAUSE DROP IN VALUE
Stock exchanged for promissory notes at discounted amount.
COURT REJECTS ATTEMPT TO “SWAP” BEQUESTS
Spouse stuck with IRA and income in respect of a decedent.
NO RELIANCE, NO PLEDGE
Charity’s claim against estate denied.
TAX ON IRD OFFSET BY DEDUCTION
Trust will receive cash from testator’s IRAs.
ORGANIZATION CHANGES USE OF CONTRIBUTED FUNDS
Donors want funds returned if not used as promised.
CHARITY CAN SUE ATTORNEY FOR ERROR IN WILL
Organization was intended beneficiary of instrument.
March 2019 Archive
• How Savings Bonds Can Assist Charity
• An Indirect Route to Charity
• Good to Know Before Making the Election
• Interest-Free Loans to Charity
February 2019 Archive
• Beneficiary Forms: Making Them Achieve Clients’ Goals
• Philanthropy—It's Not Just for “Old People”
• Special Help for Some Beneficiaries
• Add Charity to the Marital Deduction
January 2019 Archive
• Having Cake and Eating It, Too
• Planning for Gifts of Unusual Assets
• Start the Year Right
• Charitable Techniques for the Here and Now and the Hereafter
December 2018 Archive
• To Elect or Not Elect?
• One Last Chance
• Roth IRA Conversions May Be More Attractive
• Important Numbers for 2019
November 2018 Archive
• Nonqualified Charitable Remainder Trusts Worth a Look
• Gifts of Appreciated Securities Always in Style
• Unitrusts Offer Cleansing Solution for Capital Gains
• The Drawback to Giving Just a Part
October 2018 Archive
• Year-End Ideas – Some Old, Some New
• Trusts, Even Without the Deduction
• Owning Property with Charity
• What Increasing §7520 Rates Mean to Clients
Copyright © R&R Newkirk. All rights reserved.